A. General Transmission/Transaxle Diagnosis (25 questions)
1. Mechanical/Hydraulic Systems (11 questions)
1. Road test the vehicle to verify mechanical/hydraulic system problems based on driver’s concern; determine necessary action.
2. Diagnose noise, vibration, harshness, and shift quality problems; determine necessary action.
3. Diagnose fluid usage, type, level, and condition problems; determine necessary action.
4. Perform pressure tests; determine necessary action.
5. Perform stall tests; determine necessary action.
6. Perform torque converter clutch (lock-up converter) mechanical/hydraulic system tests; determine necessary action.
2. Electronic Systems (14 questions)
1. Road test the vehicle to verify electronic system problems based on driver’s concern; determine necessary action.
2. Perform pressure tests on transmissions equipped with electronic pressure control; determine necessary action.
3. Perform torque converter clutch (lock-up converter) electronic system tests; determine necessary action.
4. Diagnose electronic transmission control systems using appropriate test equipment and service information (such as: shop manuals, technical service bulletins, schematics, etc.); determine necessary action.
5. Verify proper operation of charging system; check battery, connections, vehicle power, and grounds.
6. Differentiate between engine performance, or other vehicle systems, and transmission/transaxle related problems; determine necessary action.
7. Diagnose shift quality concerns resulting from problems in the electronic transmission control system; determine necessary action.
B. In-Vehicle Transmission/Transaxle Maintenance and Repair (12 questions)
1. Inspect, adjust, and replace manual valve shift linkage, transmission range sensor/switch, and park/neutral position switch (inhibitor/neutral safety switch).
2. Inspect, adjust, and replace cables or linkages for throttle valve (TV), kickdown, and accelerator pedal.
3. Inspect and replace external seals and gaskets.
4. Inspect and replace driveshaft yoke, drive axle joints, bushings, and seals.
5. Check condition of engine cooling system; inspect transmission lines and fittings.
6. Inspect valve body mating surfaces, bores, valves, springs, sleeves, retainers, brackets, check balls, screens, spacers, and gaskets; replace as necessary.
7. Check and adjust valve body bolt torque.
8. Inspect accumulator and servo bores, pistons, seals, pins/pin bores, springs, and retainers; repair or replace as necessary; adjust bands.
9. Inspect, test, adjust, repair, or replace electrical/electronic components and circuits including computers, solenoids, sensors, relays, terminals, connectors, switches, and harnesses.
10. Inspect, replace, and align power train mounts.
11. Replace fluid and filter(s); verify proper fluid level and type.
C. Off-Vehicle Transmission/Transaxle Repair (13 questions)
1. Removal and Installation (4 questions)
1. Remove and replace transmission/transaxle; inspect engine core plugs, rear crankshaft seal, transmission dowel pins, dowel pin holes, and mating surfaces.
2. Inspect converter flex (drive) plate, converter attaching bolts, converter pilot, converter pump drive surfaces, converter end play, and crankshaft pilot bore.
3. Inspect, test, flush or replace transmission oil cooler.
2. Disassembly and Assembly (5 questions)
1. Disassemble, clean, and inspect transmission case, sub-assemblies, mating surfaces, and thread condition.
2. Inspect, measure, and replace oil pump components.
3. Check bearing preload; determine needed service.
4. Check end play; inspect, measure, and replace thrust washers and bearings as needed.
5. Inspect and replace shafts.
6. Inspect oil delivery circuit, including seal rings, ring grooves, sealing surface areas, feed pipes, orifices, and encapsulated check valves (balls).
7. Inspect and replace bushings.
8. Inspect and measure planetary gear assembly; replace parts as necessary.
9. Inspect case bores, passages, bushings, vents, mating surfaces, thread condition, and dowel pins; repair or replace as necessary.
10. Inspect and replace transaxle drive chains, sprockets, gears, bearings, and bushings.
11. Inspect, measure, repair, adjust or replace transaxle final drive components.
12. Assemble after repair.
3. Friction and Reaction Units (4 questions)
1. Inspect hydraulic clutch pack assembly; replace parts as necessary.
2. Measure and adjust clutch pack clearance.
3. Air test the operation of clutch and servo assemblies.
4. Inspect one-way clutch assemblies; replace parts as necessary.
5. Inspect bands and drums (housings/cylinders); replace and/or adjust as necessary.